b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Maqqefs in Psalm 29

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Adr1anpatterson AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Maqqefs in Psalm 29
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 15:26:43 EST

Hello fellow fans of Hebrew,

I am a self taught student of Hebrew so have no mentor to whom I can
address my questions. Of late I've been following your conversations with
interest and feel sure you can shed some light on something that puzzles me
for a
while.

In Psalm 29 the phrase 'voice of the Lord' is used 7 times to translate
the separate words Col Yhwh (excuse my transliteration!) - in verses 3, 4b,
5, 8 and 9. But in verses 4a and 7 col and Yhwh are joined with a maqqef.
Why is a maqqef used on two occasions but not the other 5? and is there any
difference in the translation?

I look forward to your comments with great interest.

Many thanks

Adrian Patterson
(N Wales UK)

  • [b-hebrew] Maqqefs in Psalm 29, Adr1anpatterson, 03/08/2010