b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] wayyiqtol and weqatal

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <vadimcherny AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] wayyiqtol and weqatal
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 00:03:56 +0200

On one thing you are absolutely right Vadim. Many of us have our perceptions
shaped by the languages we are familiar with. Unfortunately, the only cure
for this seems to be to keep learning every language in the world so that
our perceptions can be widened. Believe it or not I have found that just
about every language I have had contact with has helped me understand the
biblical languages clearer in some way.

If you wish to seriously take this further I would start by tracing the
history of the changes in the Slavonic languages and seeing if you have any
firm basis for linking the relevant ones to the Jewish group that was strong
in the area that you mentioned. However, I also suspect that the language of
the Orthodox church had a strong influence on the shaping of the Slavonic
languages.

James Christian