b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] IaBe equals Yahweh?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davedonnelly1 <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] IaBe equals Yahweh?
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 09:36:23 -0500

Hi all,
I have been lurking in the backgound with my kindergarten understanding
of Hebrew, and wondering if either James Christian or Yitzhak Sapir would
be willing to discuss in any way Gesenius's Scholarly Reconstruction of
YHWH [i.e. yod-patah-heh-shewa-waw-segol-heh] which seems to have been
accepted by many scholarly sources as possibly accurately representing
the original pronunciation of God's name.
The editors of the Brown-Driver-Briggs Lexicon of 1905 boldly posts
Gesenius's proposed Hebrew punctuation of YHWH, followed by it's
letter-by-letter English Transliteration "Yahweh"
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/264290/bdbandstrong290.jpg
The same Hebrew Punctuation can be found in William Smith's 1863 "A
Dictionary of the Bible",
which gives credit to Gesenius for having proposed this Hebrew
punctuation.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-/264290/YahwehfromSmithsBibleDictiona
rylowres.JPG
William Smith's 1863 "A Dictionary of the Bible" also notes that
Gesenius's proposed punctuation was supposed to be represented by the
"IaBe" of Epiphanius.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/264290/yahwehfromiabe660pixels.JPG
William Smith's 1863 "A Dictionary of the Bible" also notes their 1863
evidence that Clement of Alexandria had written "Iaou" and not "Iaoue" in
his Stromata Book V, chapter 6:34. [Iaou is preseved in the 11th century
Greek Codex Laurentianus V 3
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/264290/1863Smithsoniaou.JPG
FWIW
Dave Donnelly