b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Noah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Noah
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:58:12 +0200

Some have suggested a critique of the term translated 'all of the earth'.
The use of the word 'earth' in translation suggests to the typical English
mind that the flood covered the entire planet. However, the Hebrew allows
for the translation of 'all of the land' which a critique may suggest refers
to a particular subset of the land on the earth. To me, however, this is
clearly not the intended message.

Even if the flood were not global the story so far in Genesis restricts the
human populace to the ANE, AME regions having just come out of Eden. The
highest mountain in the region, Mount Ararat is given as the landing place
of Noah. If we are to assume that Mount Ararat was covered with water then
by implication pretty much all of the Earth except its highest peaks would
also have to have been covered. Can we theorise that Genesis is suggesting
that human families who had spread so far from their starting point in Eden
had managed already to reach as far as and civilise areas such as Tibet and
to run to the top of the mountains of K2 and Everest to survive the flood?
Did Armstrong really walk on the moon? Who shot JFK? As you can see we seem
to be fast walking into the twilight zone of conspiracy theories.

The message of Genesis is clear. The offspring of Adam and Eve had grown
very bad (catalysed by their relationship with the 'sons of God'). Noah and
his family were saved while the rest were killed. Noah and his family landed
in Ararat and they spread throughout the then inhabited earth having
children and 'civilising' the Earth.

James Christian