b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Iabe equals Yahweh?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Iabe equals Yahweh?
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:27:24 +0200

Hi,

2010/1/17 Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>

> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 5:50 AM, James Christian wrote:
>
> > Do you have even a basic knowledge of how to read Greek character
> sequences?
>
> James,
>
> Ignorance is bliss. But while it is flattering that you see me so
> blessed,

lol. I like your sense of humour.

> I'd like to
> put things straight and clarify that in this case I'm basing myself on
> quite a lot of
> published research and first hand sources of which you are apparently
> unaware.

I'm not entirely sure what literature you are referring to. I've been
reading Greek for quite a few years now and really can't see any evidence
for the transliteration scheme you are suggesting.

> You may think I'm making assumptions but it is only because you have not
> given
> me the basic respect of looking up what I've previously said on the
> subject in the
> past on this very list. As a computational linguist, you should also
> have no problem
> going to a reasonable scientific library to look up the various
> articles I've quoted
> on this list in the past.

I'm not sure which journals you are referring to exactly. It is also unclear
if any of the journals you are referring to contain any kind of evidence of
the transliteration scheme you suggest. If they did I'm sure you would be
able to provide non-ambiguous examples that back up your case. As it stands
all you have done is provide the data of two ancient transliterations IAOU
and IAW which when pronounced are strikingly similar to Yeho and Yahu two
very well known theophoric components. How this is supposed support a Yahweh
theory based on your interpretation (sorry other people's interpretation in
which you put your trust) of the transliteration IABE is still unclear. You
have presented a theoretical form YaHW which is impossible to pronounce with
no data or reasonable explanation and then you go on to accuse me of:

> I am not trying to convince you of anything. It is clear that you
> have a very clear
> program of trying to prove one particular pronunciation and to
> disprove another.
> Rather than try to handle the evidence, and perhaps open your mind to
> new ideas,
> you try to find every reason to reject contrary evidence.

I'm not trying to prove anything. I have absolutely no idea of the
pronunciation of YHWH. The only thing I can say with any amount of certainty
is that Yeho and Yahu beginnings are extremely strong candidates.

> As for Greek, well, please enlighten me, how does the LXX transcribe a
> consonantal Waw?

I will answer your question for you if you first can answer mine:

*Are there any Hebrew names transliterated into Greek which have a
'consonantal Waw' with no preceeding vowel? *

Find the answer to that question and you will already have answered your
own. ;-)

James Christian