b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] bias

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] bias
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:58:17 -0800

On 17 Dec 2009 at 20:17, kenneth greifer wrote:

> My biases are not as important because I do not have a PhD. This
> degree means a lot to people interested in the Bible, so people with
> this degree should tell their religious or anti-religious beliefs to
> people who read their books and articles, and who listen to their
> lectures. I am not attacking scholars. I am just saying they are
> human and have biases that matter more because people look up to
> them and trust their opinions on the Bible.

I'm not sure I follow the reasoning here. I don't have a Ph.D., but I've
published several
times, presented at conferences, and freely share my understanding of Hebrew
in forums
like this one where we're all pretty much on level ground. In fact, I like
to call the Internet
"The Great Equalizer" because it allows people like me, who never got to do
the doctorate
for financial reasons, to rub shoulders and share opinions with some of the
true giants in the
field and have an equal voice. Hence, my biases (and yours) are just as
important as
Yigal's or anybody else's. For myself, I'm a Christian, fairly conservative,
an unabashed
inerrantist (with certain caveats about things like copying, textual
corruption, etc.), a bit of a
big-mouth and, when the situation calls for it, a major jerk. Let's see, did
I leave anything
out?

Dave Washburn

http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur