b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] bias

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] bias
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:10:53 +0000

Yigal,

All people, including scientists, are biased. No one gets upset if a cancer
researcher is biased against cancer, and he or she is dedicated to fighting
cancer. When it comes to the Bible, a scholar who has a PhD can hurt other
people's faith by giving biased translations and interpretations of quotes.
If people know the religious beliefs of the scholar, they can know what the
bias might be if it exists at all. I think it is just part of telling the
truth.

I am on this list because I think Biblical Hebrew is interesting. I don't
trust everyone's opinions, but I still read them, and I can still learn from
people even if I think they are biased.

Now that I know that you consider yourself Orthodox, I know what your bias
might be if it existed for some subject in Biblical Hebrew.

Kenneth Greifer

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222985/direct/01/