b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 00:35:05 -0700

David:

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:18 PM, David Kummerow<farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
> I am unable to see how wayyo'mer in Gen 12:1 is progressive, that is
> that the end of the action is not included.

That’s your problem and limitation. But because I have come to
disagree with it, I’m not prepared to go out and defend it.

> As far as I can tell, God
> said what he intended to say, nothing more nor less. It is pure
> conjecture to say that God was interrupted in what he was saying here,
> since there is nothing indicating this in the context (close up view
> means end point not included). Hence a perfective speech event. That's
> the same with the majority of speech acts, especially divine speech
> acts. (Alternatively, if we want to go with Rolf and have imperfective
> aspect as resultative, it is difficult to see the verb here as
> resultative, either.)
>
> As per dialect, you consistently avoid the issue that a dialect is still
> a linguistic system.

If you had been listening to me, you would have heard just the
opposite: that because a dialect is a linguistic system, it is to be
taken in the same manner as a cognate language to compare to the
standard, not as a proof against a standard usage.

> What's the speech community which makes up
> "international, standard English", by the way?

This question shows ignorance. I already addressed that in a previous message.

> They certainly must have
> one superior language, semantically speaking! We "dialect speakers" can
> be made out as if we don't have a system of language and communicate
> only with linguistic oddities having only comic value for those who look
> down on us with their wholly sense-making "mother tongue".

This is foolish babble in view of the above.

> But since you were so hung up on an example from a specific dialect, I
> presented additional language examples that cannot be relegated to
> dialect. But here you just avoid them.

You accuse too quickly, accusing of avoiding when others see it as
merely not addressing an irrelevancy or that the question has already
been addressed elsewhere, so no need to repeat oneself.