b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a holy language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: "Sarah J. Blake" <sarah AT growingstrong.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, George.Athas AT moore.edu.au, JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a holy language
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 19:45:11 +0100

So, the format of discussion you would prefer is:

START DISCUSSION
Person A: Here is a really interesting topic. Why don't we consider the primary sources and see if we can get any answers.
Person B: Go away and read this book.
END OF DISCUSSION

Personally, I don't find that academically stimulating. Recently, we had a discussion about Karl's theory of TLDTH. We explored that theory by recourse to primary sources. We didn't manage to reach a common understanding but everybody who took part in the discussion learned something from it. It caused us to look at things in new ways and seek answers by considering all the different lines of evidence. The only reason this happened is because different parties pursued different lines of evidence and were able to put each other's thoughts to the test to see if they stood up under criticism. This is what stimulated the process of learning even if we didn't all learn the same thing from it.

Now, going away and reading a book is all very well. But then what happens if you agree with data but don't agree with the interpretation? What will you do then? Will you look up the author and give him a ring so that you can question his reasoning? How will you be able to benefit from a discussion of the primary sources if you are unwilling to engage in one?

Now, each to their own, but I think I'm not the only one on this list with these feelings but if you want to have a discussion you'd better base it on primary sources or no-one will be able to take what you are saying seriously. It's one thing to say 'go away and read this book' but it's quite another thing to say 'this book says x, y and z. He bases his conclusions on exhibits a, b and c' and then state problems with his interpretation and the accuracy of his report on the data. When you start doing that, then we have a recipe for the basis of a discussion.

James Christian

Quoting "Sarah J. Blake" <sarah AT growingstrong.org>:

James,

Your posts demanding evidence are beginning to amuse me.

When doing research, we often must begin with secondary resources and
trace back. The sources I gave you are sources of linguistic
information relevant to this list. If you want to use primary sources
to back this up, get your Bible maps out and trace the peoples living
in these areas.

I asked you a while ago what your educational background is and how
much Hebrew study you have personally done... Can you read these texts
in Hebrew, or are you relying on commentaries to explain a few Hebrew
words to you?

Sarah J. Blake
Personal email: sjblake AT growingstrong.org
http://www.growingstrong.org I'm protected by SpamBrave
http://www.spambrave.com/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.