b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a holy language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: "Sarah J. Blake" <sarah AT growingstrong.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, George.Athas AT moore.edu.au, JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a holy language
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 16:45:01 +0100

Thanks for trying but this is not what I class as evidence. My basic opinion is that if you wish to be taken seriously in a discussion then you need to provide primary data which back up your assertions. Citing secondary sources as an authority just doesn't cut any ice around here.

James Christian

Quoting "Sarah J. Blake" <sarah AT growingstrong.org>:

uoting Jim S.:

(c) Linguistics proves the case. Biblical Hebrew is a virgin pure west
Semitic language. Biblical Hebrew is not a modified east Semitic language.

Hebrew grammars classify it as a Northwest Semitic language. For reference:

Christo H.J. van der Merwe, Jackie A. Naudé, and Jan H. Kroeze. A
Biblical Hebrew Reference Grammar (Sheffield Academic Press, 1999).

Also, an online chart:

http://www.sron.nl/~jheise/akkadian/semitic.html

Sarah J. Blake
Personal email: sjblake AT growingstrong.org
http://www.growingstrong.org I'm protected by SpamBrave
http://www.spambrave.com/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.