b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tory Thorpe <torythrp AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 22:23:25 -0700 (PDT)

I wasn't attempting to make fantastic lifespans "believable" by pointing out
that the Hebrew tradition that is presumably behind the LXX figures in Gen 11
"looks" more credible than the outcome with the figures we see in the MT. The
historical accuracy game is a game I'd rather not play. What I'm saying is
something along the lines of Robert Alter, The Art of Biblical Narrative,
1981, i.e. that there is here in this LXX tradition a more credible view of
the past conveyed by the narrator (= usually the author of the final form of
the text). Whether that tradition actually reflects reality is irrelevant to
a literary-critical approach: it is enough to recognize that the biblical
writers believed in the stories they told. That's why we have them.

Tory Thorpe

P.S. I thought bible-believing evangelic Christians did not question the data
in Genesis?