b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 16:44:49 +1000

Hi Karl.

I do mean the compliment. Learning occurs best when there is good debating,
so I appreciate your interaction (and, I hope, vice versa).

The biblical concept of the past is quite similar to other ancient Near
Eastern views of the past. Mesopotamian sagas also have dates, including
individual kings who ruled for thousands of years. You could theoretically do
the math and derive a chronology based upon those documents, too. Why prefer
one over the other? I imagine you'd see one as fictional, right?

Also, your interpretation of /raqia(/ is overly stringent. The spread (excuse
the pun) of the word and comparison with cognates (within Hebrew and other
Semitic languages) strongly indicates the notion of something that is
'stretched out'. The very concept implies something physical - not 'space'.
I'd suggest translating the noun as 'panel', or something similar.

I guess we'll agree to disagree?

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au