b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gabe Eisenstein <gabe AT cascadeaccess.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 14:29:23 -0700

Tory Thorpe wrote:
>How did the Deuteronomist historian obtain Esarhaddon's vassal treaties, and what is the direct evidence that cuneiform records were used and understood by compilers of the biblical corpus.

There is no evidence I know of, beyond the two texts themselves.
For a comparison see Moshe Weinfeld, Deuteronomy and the Deuteronomic School.

Previously Karl suggested that formulaic treaty-language was encountered by Moses either orally or in documents he happened to see.
A conjecture from the mainstream view is that there was contact between Judean and Assyrian court scribes on various occasions, such as the signing of treaties, or the reported captivity of King Manasseh. It could even be that some of the Assyrian-Judean treaties contained the same or similar language. This of course fits with the theory that Deuteronomy was organized in the 7th century BC.

Gabe Eisenstein