b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: belaga AT math.u-strasbg.fr
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 00:29:02 +0200

Quoting Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>:

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Mr. Belaga wrote:

This rather typical exchange raises the question: to what degree
should we take care of what the Biblical sources and related Jewish
and Christian commentaries of the distant past speak about.

Here, the camps of believers and skeptics look at each other with disdain.

I do not look upon anyone with disdain, and I resent your implication that
I do not treat the ancient sources with great care.

Yitzhak Sapir

Quite to the contrary, I just hoped to complement you on what you were saying ... I was speaking about the general situation, with the words "believers" not related to the religion but to the people taking the Scripture as a reliable source. Of course "reliable" is not exactly what people mean in the current cultural, strongly formalized, with a modern legalistic background sense -- here come "skeptics".

Sorry for this misunderstanding. The subject is too touchy...

Dr. Edward G. Belaga
Institut de Recherche en Mathématique Avancée
Universite Louis Pasteur
7, rue René Descartes, 67084 Strasbourg Cedex, FRANCE
tel.: 333 90 24 02 35, FAX: 333 90 24 03 28 , cellular: 336 76 29 63 04
e-mail : edward.belaga AT math.u-strasbg.fr