b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Textbooks

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michiel Borkent <michielborkent AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Textbooks
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 21:38:52 +0200

Hello George,

With my first introduction to Hebrew our class used "Beginning Biblical
Hebrew" by Mark Futato.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Biblical-Hebrew-David-Futato/dp/1575060221

Pro's: lots of exercise material, very didactical, suited for students who
are "beginning Biblical Hebrew". I still use it now and then when I want to
exercise some more and when I want a more accessible approach on a specific
topic.

Con's: it's only an introduction, so limited to the very essentials

Now I am using Lettinga in a second course. This book already has been
described by Jan Pieter van de Giessen and I second his writing. Another con
is that there is not much exercise material in this book as in Futato
(that's why I use it still).

Kind regards,

Michiel Borkent