b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Textbooks

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JP van de Giessen" <vdgiessen AT solcon.nl>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Textbooks
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 10:10:46 +0200

For your interest:
In Dutch there is only one good book: J.P. Lettinga, Grammatica van het
Bijbels Hebreeuws from Brill (1976, at least this is my edition) and as far I
know it's used on all theological universities.

Pro's: It's in the mother tongue (!!), many examples, lot of background
information and it has a small dictionary.
Contra's: Language is a little bit old-fashioned and it uses many Latin terms.
There is a syllabus from prof. Pieter Siebesma with many explanations of these
Latin terms and some old Dutch words.

There are also some Dutch dictionaries, but I should suggest Peter D.H.
Broers, Woordenboek van het Bijbels Hebreeuws from De Haan Boeken (2007) it is
comparable with Gesenius, but with many new additions.

Most students are advised to buy besides these 2 books, the normal
English/Hebrew grammars and dictionaries. But my experience is learning a
foreign language via an other foreign language is difficult.

Jan Pieter van de Giessen
Blog: http://bijbelaantekeningen.blogspot.com