b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Textbooks

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jason Hare <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Textbooks
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 01:41:55 +0300

George,

I've never been a Hebrew teacher in a university/college classroom, so
I can't comment on that.

I learned Hebrew (the first year of grammar in college) using C.L.
Seow's /A Grammar for Biblical Hebrew/. I found it really useful, but
you had to keep your eyes open for typos, many of which I pointed out
to my professor (we had a small class, of course) during the course of
the year — and others which he pointed out to us. If there is a newer
edition, it may have a lot of corrections. I thought that the
presentation was clear and effective, but I have to admit that when I
finished that first year and entered the summer vacation, I thought I
would never pick up a Hebrew book again. It was wrecking on the mind!

After a break of a couple of months, I came back to third-semester
Hebrew, in which we studied the Joseph narrative with the help of
Prof. Yosef Hayim Yerushalmi book which, for the life of me, I cannot
find a title for. I thought it was simply "The Story of Joseph" or
"The Life of Joseph," but I'm not sure. I haven't been able to find it
online, and I even called the Hebrew Union College library in L.A.
just now to see if they could help me out, and we didn't come across
it. It was a full letter-sized print bound in cardstock and plastic.
Not impressive in its appearance but great in content, having the
whole Joseph narrative presented verse-by-verse with inductive grammar
presentations, cognate associations in Syriac and Arabic, lexical
comments, etc. It made reading the story much more palatable for a
still fledgling student.

Anyway, that's my experience. Since then, of course, it's READ READ
READ, as it is when learning any text-based language.

Yours,
Jason Hare
Rehovot, Israel