b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Textbooks

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred putnam <fred.putnam AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Textbooks
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 20:48:23 -0400

Dear George,

I met Hebrew via notes dictated by our prof, and the exercises in R. Laird
Harris's grammar. I learned Hebrew when Stephen Geller made us read
Deuteronomy in one month during a summer course. I really learned Hebrew
when I started reading out loud, for 15 minutes, three or four times a day,
simply "bleeping" over words I didn't know.

When I started teaching Hebrew (1984), I used Lambdin until the price went
too high, and I realized that we were not getting around to reading the text
because there were just too many chapters.

I used Kelley for a few years, but began writing supplements (e.g.,
collapsing his five(?) chaptesr on guttural verbal roots into a three-page
handout) until the supplements became a book, which I have published
privately and used for the past ten or twelve years (I will happily send a
pdf version to anyone on the list who would like to see it).

About one month into Hebrew I, we begin reading BHS; I hand out enlarged
copies (8.5x11) of the page, explain all the parts of the page, and away we
go. No preparation expected; I explain stuff that is new, and use the lists
from Armstrong, Busby, & Carr (words below 50x). This has been in "extra"
sessions, outside of class, but many students who have gone on for further
study tell me that those "reading sessions" were when they really "learned
Hebrew".

Second semester is largely translating narrative (usually Abram/Abraham),
memorizing vocabulary, and working through the chapters on the weak verbs
(which are explained as we translate, and so are not new when they encounter
them in "paradigmatic" form in the grammar). Depending on the class and
schedule, we read Gn 11.27 through Gn 15/21 (a wide range, that reflects the
number of syntactical and discourse bunny trails we follow).

Third semester is, in essence, an introduction to discourse analysis of
Biblical Hebrew narrative (although I don't often use that term, lest they
be scared off) and the theory and practice of translation, with a final
project in which they compare and evaluate two English translations of a
short passage (8-10 vv.) from different approaches (e.g., ESV vs. NLT, or
NJKV vs. NRSV).

I'm afraid that I've gone beyond the scope of your question. I agree with
Karl, that after some basic stuff, reading as much text as possible is the
best step.

Fred