b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew calender, years, months, weeks and days

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew calender, years, months, weeks and days
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 11:07:58 +0100

I think I agree with Yigal's sentiments here. This wasn't the kind of thing I was hoping for (although, the information about other cultures celebrating a 30 month was informative and may prove to be a useful lead).

Just to get the discussion back on course my original aim was to get a precise understand of the hebrew terms we translate as year, month, week and day. I think year, month and day we have a reasonable clear picture of because of natural phenomena and corroborative evidence from tradition and internal evidence. But the term week and sabbath which seems to be used in connection and in parallel with new moon. And that was what I intended this thread to be about. An objective discussion of the definition of hebrew week. Lines of evidence worth considering are probably:

1) Internal use of the term in the hebrew texts
2) Recourse to similar cultures e.g. babylonian, sumerian and their calendars
3) Evidence from contemporary cognate usage
4) Traditions that are traceable to written source that can be dated

If anyone has any of the above to mention that I may not be aware of or have considered I would much appreciate that kind of input.

James

Quoting Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>:

Okay, people. I think that unless anyone has something strictly
language-related to add, this thread as run its course.

Thank y'all,

Yigal Levin
Co-moderator, b-hebrew