b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew calender, years, months, weeks and days

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew calender, years, months, weeks and days
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 06:38:42 +0300

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 12:50 AM, James Read wrote:
> Hi brothers,
>
> further to observations I have already made my various wandering made
> me stumble on this quote from the prophets as I was reading Barnabas
> epistle:
>
> What is the multitude of your sacrifices unto Me, saith the Lord? I am
> full of burnt-offerings, and desire not the fat of lambs, and the
> blood of bulls and goats, not when ye come to appear before
> 138
> Me: for who hath required these things at your hands? Tread no more My
> courts, not though ye bring with you fine flour. Incense is a vain
> abomination unto Me, and your new moons and sabbaths I cannot endure
>
> What I couldn't help but noticing, in light of the observations I have
> already made and theories I have put forward, is that 'sabbaths and
> new moons' seem to be used in a parallel sense just as 'burnt
> offering, fat of lambs and blood of bulls' are used in parallel
> sacrificial sense earlier on in the quote.
>
> Any thoughts?

The above is a quote of Isaiah 1:11. Even if you recognize it is a quote
from the prophets (perhaps because this is what it says in Barnabas),
it is best to go and find the original source.
1) Your message will be more on topic.
2) You will see a different more complete version of the parallelism.

Yitzhak Sapir