b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew calender, years, months, weeks and days

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jason Hare <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: Ben Crick <ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>, "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew calender, years, months, weeks and days
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 15:40:19 +0300

Ben,

It actually just makes sense to end a day at sundown. Midnight is
artificial for a day's beginning and is only truly possible with the
clock. Before people used regular clocks, all cultures began their day
either at dawn or at sundown. These are the natural marks for the
beginning of the new day. Anyone can look outside and see that the sun
is setting and know that the work day has ended. Similarly, anyone
would admit that dawn is a good time to start a new day, since it
actually *is* the beginning of the day. Both of these is perfectly
logical. It is the idea that somewhere in the dead of night the new
day begins that strikes me as odd.

Jason Hare
Rehovot, Israel