b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew calender, years, months, weeks and days

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew calender, years, months, weeks and days
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 12:12:06 +0100

Hi Yitzhak,

thanks for the reply. I read Isaiah in context as you suggested. This is what the further context said:

New moon and sabbath, the calling of a convention?I cannot put up with the uncanny power along with the solemn assembly. Your new moons and your festal seasons my soul has hated. To me they have become a burden; I have become tired of bearing them. And when you spread out your palms, I hide my eyes from you. Even though you make many prayers, I am not listening; with bloodshed your very hands have become filled.

The context only seems to further connect new moons with sabbath days by further parallel to other holy days such as the Jewish feasts. So this got me thinking a little bit further. If we assume a month to be 28-30 days and the first day of the month to be a new moon, then,

1) 1st of a month is a sabbath, start counting the days of the week from there.
2) 2nd of the month = first day of week 1
3) 7th of the month = preparation day of week 1
4) 8th of the month = sabbath (7th day of week 1, usually also a half moon)
5) 9th of the month = first day of week 2
6) 14th of the month = preparation day of week 2(night of Jesus arrest and day of Jesus execution. Is this coincidence?)
7) 15th of the month = sabbath (7th day of week 2, usually also a full moon)

8) 16th of the month = first day of week 3
9) 21st of the month = preparation day of week 3
10) 22nd of the month = sabbath (7th day of week 3, usually a half moon)
11) 23rd of the month = first day of week 4)
12) 28th of the month = preparation of week 4
13) 29th of the month = sabbath (7th day of week 4, more often than not the last lunar day)
14) 30th of the month = optional intercallary day (did the Jews work on this day or not? No indication can be found)

Apart from the similarities in the way Babylonians celebrated their month I called to mind Collosians 2:16

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days

This would seem to show not pre Christian days of Isaiah but also at the beginning of Christianity the Jewish Christians (who wrote this letter) see a definite connection between:

1) Feast days
2) New moons
3) Seventh day sabbaths

Any thoughts?