b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jim's posts

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jim's posts
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:28:35 +0200

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Yigal Levin wrote:
> Dear All

> (and I'm really not picking on you in particular, Karl),

> While most of us may not agree with a single thing that Jim writes, his
> posts do remain within the parameters of B-Hebrew, he is always polite, and
> there is absolutely no reason to ban his posts. There are not a few members
> of this list with "unconventional" ideas, and none of them are banned. The
> moderators absolutely refuse to practice any form of censorship of ideas.

As someone whose views have been consistently misrepresented by Jim, and
whose suggestions for reading material on linguistics have been spurned by
Jim,
I think I may be entitled to my own personal feeling that Jim is not
always polite.
In my opinion, there is only one word to describe Jim's behavior, whether he
does it intentionally or not. It is not considered polite behavior on
the internet.

http://www.jfo.org.uk/info/new/troll.htm#game

Some of Jim's comments about me which make use of adjectives in reference
to me ("oddly", "non-substantive"). While these adjectives may be acceptable
within list discourse, they are not (in my personal opinion) "very polite",
and
nothing of Jim's argument would have been lost without them:

"why should we think that such process did not begin in Canaan until 'the
early
centuries CE', as you [Yitzhak Sapir] oddly assert?"

"Instead of making a substantive attack on that key argument of mine, Yitzhak
Sapir made only the following non-substantive comment."

Yitzhak Sapir