b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jason Hare <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:37:04 +0200

Isaac,

I think, in terms of Hebrew study, you really must exist in a
different sphere from the rest of us. I'm just lost as to (1) how you
at all didn't understand what I wrote and (2) responded with what is
below. You're saying, I guess, that the lengthening of patach to
kamats or segol (in some situations) is just purely random and has not
EXPLANATION? Is that what I'm supposed to take from this? You reject
the stand explanation that the dagesh represents consonant
assimilation and that the rejection of the assimilation results in
vocalic lengthening? I really don't know where you're coming from in
terms of your explanations of Hebrew morphology. You're so outside the
box that the box doesn't even make sense to you, and your theories
don't make sense to me.

Jason Hare
Rehovot, Israel