b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Brak" <Brak AT neo.rr.com>, "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 14:42:07 -0800

Dear John,

I think what you are asking is, Does the dagesh change the basic meaning of
the
root whether it is two or three consonant root?

If I remember correctly, the dagesh is just a symbol of reduplication for the
BGDKPT consonants added by the Masoretes. It was not in the consonantal text
itself. That being the case, then I would think that the context, and context
alone, would indicate whether one is dealing with non-interrogative,
interrogative, etc. It most cases, the meaning would probably be obvious.
Since
Karl, et al, have read the Tanakh without the Massoretic pointing, they would
have a better understanding of this (even when there is some disagreement over
the accuracy of that pointing).

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III