b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: uhurwitz AT yahoo.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 23:13:57 -0500

What we hear and what we don't hear is a very delicate issue and I will not argue it with you. I think there IS a brief natural actual doubling of the B of DIBER as we enter it from I and leave it into E, at least the way I pronounce Hebrew. Such doubling occurs also in ) IMI, 'my mother', )ABI, 'my father', )AXI, 'my brother', even though only )IMI contains a dagesh.

Isaac Fried, Boston University