b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 18:26 - Y$PW+W

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 18:26 - Y$PW+W
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 14:57:22 +1100

Hi Jason!

I think you misunderstood me. I think I'm with you on this one. If a Qumran
manuscript reflected the same reading as the Samaritan Pentateuch, then it's
reasonable to assume the extra waw was added at a later time, perhaps by the
Masoretes, inadvertently or otherwise. If a Qumran manuscript supports the MT
reading against the Samaritan Pentateuch, then everything is up for grabs and
it would be very difficult to determine which way any 'emendation' went
(addition or omission).

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au