b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 18:26 - Y$PW+W

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jason Hare <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 18:26 - Y$PW+W
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 16:58:57 +0200

Kirk,

I had thought it might be pausal, which I would also expect to be
/yishpOtu/, but it's not in final position. The pronoun HM follows it.
Would this not limit the use of syllable lengthening? Wouldn't we
expect to find this only if Y$PW+W came final in the clause?

Thanks for your response so far.

Jason Hare
Rehovot, Israel