b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 18:26 - Y$PW+W

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Shoshanna Walker" <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: "Jason Hare" <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 18:26 - Y$PW+W
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 14:42:34 -0500

I was reading it wrong

Rashi:

"they themselves would judge": Heb. יִשְׁפּוּטוּ, same as יִשְׁפֹּטוּ, and similarly [we find the verb תעבורי,], “neither shall you go away (לֹא תַעִבוּרִי)” (Ruth 2:8), like לֹא תַעֲבוֹרִי. The Targum [Onkelos] renders: דַּייְנִין אִינוּן, they judge. The earlier passages(verse 22) were in the imperative form. Therefore, they are rendered: וִִידוּנוּן, יַיְתוּן, יְדוּנוּן, but these passages [here in verse 26] are expressions of doing [and are not imperative].

Shoshanna,

I think you're thinking of the pual imperfect, which (if שפט appeared
in piel) would be ישופטו Y$WP+W. This isn't what's in the text. It's
simply a strange form of the qal imperfect, which I don't think would
be read as a normal qal imperfect consonantally (since even then
having a long vowel marked by a mater lectionis would be odd in that
position).

Regards,
Jason Hare