b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Halhul, Jezreel and Timnah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: kwrandolph AT gmail.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Halhul, Jezreel and Timnah
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:59:57 EST

Karl:

You wrote: “You have yet to make the case that the cities that you mention
are anywhere else than south of Hebron, where history, archaeology and
linguistics all
put them.”

Let’s take your theory of the case seriously and see if it works. You view
all 10 towns listed at Joshua 15: 55-57 as being located south of the city of
Hebron. In particular, you have asserted repeatedly that I am in error in
maintaining that Ziph, Timnah, Jezreel, Maon and Carmel are not located south
of
the city of Hebron.

Let’s check it out.

1. The land south of the city of Hebron is not very good land. It is the
Northern Negev Desert, which has never supported a large human population.
True, there were some towns there in Biblical times. Yet south of Hebron is
not
an urban area, to say the least. It is hard to imagine more than about a
dozen
or so towns being located in the poor land south of the city of Hebron, in
the Northern Negev Desert.

2. I Samuel 30: 26-31 lists about 10 towns south of the city of Hebron.
That would be most, if not quite all, of the towns that existed south of the
city
of Hebron. I Samuel 30: 31 then says that those were a-l-l of the places
where David hung out in those days.

3. Now let’s see if any of the 10 towns at Joshua 15: 55-57, all of which
you see as being located south of the city of Hebron, are places where David
hung out south of the city of Hebron.

Is Ziph listed at I Samuel 30: 26-31? No. What about Timnah? No. Jezreel?
No. Maon? No. Carmel? No. Should I go on? Not a single one of the 10
towns listed at Joshua 15: 55-57 is a place south of the city of Hebron where
David hung out.

Why? Because no town listed at Joshua 15: 55-57 is located south of the city
of Hebron!!! (Or southeast of the city of Hebron.)

Your theory of the case cannot withstand a review of the Biblical evidence.
There is no “history, archaeology and linguistics” from prior to the common
era to support your view either. You’re 0 for 10 in matching city names at
Joshua 15: 55-57 with the towns south of the city of Hebron where young David
hung out. That’s the same batting average as mainstream scholars on this
issue.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois