b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Can absence of evidence be evidence of absence?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Can absence of evidence be evidence of absence?
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 17:38:47 +0100

Dear Karl,

Rolf:

snip

Here I bring up the related question, what do we know about those centuries?
Is there any reason to doubt the dates assigned to pottery styles and other
marker technologies? In other words, the evidence is not found because we
are looking for the wrong evidence?

RF: I would say that dates that go back to the middle of the first millennium B.C.E based on pottery, C14 and other methods are quite reliable (+/- 50 years or more). But further back the uncertainty increases exponentially with elapsed time. In any dating method there are axioms and assumptions, and the results may be wrong.

The mentioned example is an archaeological one. Some days ago I
focused upon the text of the Pentateuch and formed the hypothesis:
"The Pentateuch was written in the 15th century by a man called
Moses." To doubt that something that is written in the Pentatauch
really happened is a psychological matter that is based on logic, or
faith, or philosophy etc. By forming this hypothesis I tried to put
the matter regarding the writing of the Pentatauch into a scientific
setting. The hypothesis predicts that we will not find anachronisms
in the text, and i discussed some possibilities. Then I asked the
list members to mention other predictions that could be tested. But
no one responded. So, I try again with a question based on the
hypothesis: Which sides/characteristics/matters in the Hebrew text of
the Pentateuch forbid a 15th century writing?

Isn't even asking the question assuming data that we don't have? How would
we recognize an anachronism or a loan word? Wouldn't we need a large body of
literature, larger than the Tanakh by at least a few times, and of known
venue, in order to answer these questions? In the case of a suspected loan
word, is this a case of a word from another languages to Hebrew, or from
Hebrew to the other language, or maybe both were from a third language?
Further, aren't loan words, if they catch on, usually nativized within a
generation or two, sometimes enough that they are hard to connect to their
origins?

In short, aren't you asking unanswerable questions, given the paucity of
data we have?

RF:
I would not say that source criticism, redaction criticism, textual criticism and other critical approaches to the text of the Tanakh are in vain and should be avoided. By the help of such methods quite a lot of interesting results can be achieved. The problem as I see it, is that scholars generally do not take Duhem-Quine's problem into consideration. And because of that, many draw sweeping conclusions on the basis of their material and forget the role (and uncertainty) of their auxiliary hypotheses. That is particularly the case when they by the help of the language try to fix the time of writing of particular Bible books. I have not defended any standpoint as to the time of the writing of the Pentateuch, but I have called for evidence that can exclude a 15th century writing. And so far I have seen no evidence. it seems to me that faith in authorities is the basic reason for this rejection.

(Wikipedia: "The Duhem-Quine thesis (also called the Duhem-Quine problem) is that it is impossible to test a scientific hypothesis in isolation, because an empirical test of the hypothesis requires one or more background assumptions (also called auxiliary assumptions or auxiliary hypotheses). The hypothesis in question is by itself incapable of making predictions. Instead, the consequences of the hypothesis typically rest on background assumptions from which to derive predictions. This prevents a theory from becoming conclusively falsified through empirical means if the background assumptions are not proven (since background assumptions sometimes involve one or more scientific theories, and scientific theories are never strictly proven.")

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo