b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] repost of full question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] repost of full question
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 08:35:32 -0500

Dirk,
Harold,
My appologies for that last email. I must have hit a wrong shortcut combo on my keyboard by accident and it sent an incomplete response. Sorry :).

I am glad you are starting to see what I am saying. However, let me say a few more words. I'm not looking for help in Daniel 9:2 for this theory. I am looking for consistency. I see most Bibles render Daniel 9:2 in such a way that it leaves the sense of relating the END of the 70 years with END of devastations of Jerusalem. But some Bibles equate them. I am taking issue with the Bibles that equate them because they don't match a plain reading of Jeremiah, and they do not match history very well.

HH: I think that so many Bibles say that the desolations of Jerusalem last 70 years because that is what Daniel meant. There are parallel passages to support this:

Zechariah 7:5 "Say to all the people of the land and to the priests, 'When you fasted and mourned in the fifth and seventh months these seventy years, was it actually for Me that you fasted?

2Chr. 36:20 He took into exile in Babylon those who had escaped from the sword, and they became servants to him and to his sons until the establishment of the kingdom of Persia,
2Chr. 36:21 to fulfill the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had made up for its sabbaths. All the days that it lay desolate it kept sabbath, to fulfill seventy years.

HH: These are important passages showing that Israel's punishment lasted 70 years.

HH: Here's Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary:

9:1-3 Daniel learned from the books of the prophets, especially from Jeremiah, that the desolation of Jerusalem would continue seventy years, which were drawing to a close. God's promises are to encourage our prayers, not to make them needless; and when we see the performance of them approaching, we should more earnestly plead them with God.

HH: Here is John MacArthur writing on these passages:
http://www.biblebb.com/files/mac/sg27-24.htm

The inhabitants of southern kingdom of Judah were later taken captive by the Babylonians--the first of four great Gentile world empires: Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, and Rome (cf. Dan. 7:1-8). That captivity began about 605 B. C. when King Nebuchadnezzar started what became a series of three significant deportations from Judah. In the first deportation Nebuchadnezzer carried away the young men from among the nobles and princes of Judah. Among them were four young men named Daniel, Mishael, Hananiah, and Azariah. The Babylonians renamed them Belteshazzar, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego (Dan. 1:6-7). Although a captive, Daniel remained fully committed to the God of Israel. As a result of his commitment and the quality of his character he eventually became the prime minister of Babylon.

At the time the prophecy recorded in Daniel 9 was given, the Babylonian Empire had fallen to the Medo-Persian Empire. A king named Cyrus (also titled Darius) was in power. Although the Jewish exiles were now the captives of the Medo-Persians, Daniel retained his position as prime minister because of his integrity. Some scholars believe Daniel received his revelation in the year 537 B. C., which was just about seventy years after Daniel had been taken captive.

B. The Concern of Daniel

That seventy year mark was important to Daniel: "I . . . understood by books the number of the years, concerning which the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah, the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem" (Dan. 9:2). Jeremiah prophesied that the people from Judah would be in captivity for seventy years (Jer. 25:11; 29:10). Daniel knew that if the seventy year period began with the first deportation, it was nearly over (though he didn't know if the seventy years dated from 605, 597, or 586 B. C. --the years of the three significant deportations).

HH: Keil's older commentary says that the wording in Dan 9:2 depends on Jer 25:12, not 29:10. He says that Jerusalem did not certainly lie in ruins for seventy years; the word is not thus to be interpreted, but is chosen partly with regard to the existing state of Jerusalem, and partly with reference to the words of Jer 25:9, 11. Yet the desolation began wih the first taking of Jerusalem, and the deportation of Daniel and his companions and a part of the sacred vessels of the temple, in the fourth year of Jehoiakim (606 B.C.).

HH: Keil speaks specifically of the "seventy years of exile" for Israel, and so do most Bible
scholars.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Whether Jeremiah and Daniel were written down before or after the events they describe is irrelevant to me. What I would like to see (hopefully) is Daniel, who cites Jeremiah, agree with the scriptures in Jeremiah, and at the same time reflect historical accuracy. (I need to say some things about historical accuracy, but K. Randolph has responded to this email post citing historical accuracy, so I will do it there) So when I cite Daniel 9:2 from the NIV (and some of the translations you cited), I am saying that I think something was left out of the translation - mainly the thought of "fulfillment" of the desolations being tied to the end of the 70 years. When this thought is included, it changes the meaning of the scripture to one that definitely agrees with Jeremiah. Take for example one of the translations you cited - the New Living Translation. It reads:

2 During the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, learned from reading the word of the Lord, as revealed to Jeremiah the prophet, that Jerusalem **must lie desolate for seventy years.**

This is an example of Daniel 9:2 that I find hard to accept. Why? Because
Jerusalem was desolated in 587. The Jews returned in 538/537. This is 50
years. Jeremiah could be stating a round number/estimate, but that's 20 years
off. It doesn't agree with history.

You also cited the Holman Christian Standard Bible:

2 in the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, understood from the books according to the word of the LORD to Jeremiah the prophet that the number of **years for the desolation of Jerusalem would be 70.**

This poses the same problem. It flat out equates says that Jerusalem's desolation would be 70 years. Now, with this version of
Daniel 9:2, you may be able to get around it. The way you would do that is by saying the word rendered "desolation"
didn't mean complete desolation. Rather, it meant partial desolation, perhaps when the Babylonians first came up against
Jerusalem in the 4th year of Jehoiakim, which is around 606/605. I have no problem with this interpretation of
"desolation". But I might add, that it essentially re-defines "desolation" to mean something more like
"servitude". After all, it describes a situation where Babylon comes against Jerusalem in the 4th year of Jehoiakim,
does a little damage, subjugates the nation, and then leaves. Like you said in your first response, "How desolated does it
have to be to be desolated?" This is the same thing as a vassal - which is what I am saying. Notice, you can't really do
that with the New Living
Translations' version of Daniel 9:2 because it doesn't give you the liberty of redefining
"desolation", mainly because of the word "lie" inserted in the verse. In any
case, if you take this route then you have to assume 70 is a round number. From 606/605 to
538/537, is approx 69 years. REALLY CLOSE. So I can see the argument being that it is a round
number. In this case it would make sense.

Just for a second, take a look at it from an interlinear:

"in year of one to reign of him I Daniel understood in scrolls number of the
years which became word of Yahweh to Jeremiah the prophet to fulfill of desertions of
Jereusalem seventy year."

The Hebrew word rendered fulfill is strong number H4390. Here is the
definition (I am pasting it, and I'm not sure if the Hebrew characters will
go through on the mailing list):

H4390
מלא מלא
mâlê' mâlâ'
maw-lay', maw-law'
A primitive root, to fill or (intransitively) be full of, in a wide
application (literally and figuratively): - accomplish, confirm, +
consecrate, be at an end, be expired, be fenced, fill, fulfil, (be, become, X
draw, give in, go) fully (-ly, -ly set, tale), [over-] flow, fulness,
furnish, gather (selves, together), presume, replenish, satisfy, set, space,
take a [hand-] full, + have wholly.

There is a clear reference to the end of the period, its completion, its accomplishment. I will paraphrase - 'I understood from the word of Yahweh through Jeremiah the prophet that it would be seventy years before the desolation would be fulfilled (brought to and end, completed, accomplished, etc.)'. This sense avoids any equation of the 70 years with the desolations and simply states, when the 70 years ended, the desolations could now end.
And this is what I am getting at - if it is read that way (with the sense of strong
number H4390 left in the verse), it does not contradict Jeremiah or history. Yes,
Jeremiah states that Jerusalem would be desolate. But the seventy years was to be
measured by way of servitude of many nations toward Babylon - Jeremiah 29:10 says
"for Babylon".

I think the context of Daniel 9 also supports this. Remember the order of events I was speaking of earlier. That order is expressed clearly in Jeremiah 25:12 and Jeremiah 29:10-13.
If we accept this statement: "Jerusalem would lie desolate 70 years.", then
we natually have to discard our historical evidence - which is pretty massive.

See what I mean? I would like it all to agree.