b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Yrwshlm-Yrwshlym-Yrwshlymh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yohanan bin-Dawidh" <yohanan.bin.dawidh AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Yrwshlm-Yrwshlym-Yrwshlymh
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 09:43:56 -0500

Shalom l'kulam;

Throughout most of the Miq'ra, we have written "Yrwshlm", with added
niqqudoth making such to be read as "Yerushala'im", but is such
grammatically possible, or should we read such as "Yerushalam"? Or is it
that the scribes attempted to coincide the few, and rare occasions, such as
Sefer Esther 2:6 where "Yrwshlm" is written as "Yrwshlym", with "Yrwshlm",
creating "Yerushala'im"?

Also, in Sefer Divray ha-Yammim Bet, we read in chater 2, verse 9, another
interesting reading of the great city's name, "Yrwshlmyh", and I am
wondering people's thoughts on this rendering of the city's name?

I have always held that "Yerushalam" is the correct pronunciation of the
name of the great city, but now I am on quest to research out all its
variants, and would like peoples thoughts and opinions concerning what
pronunciation is the most accurate for the great city.

Best regards,

Yo*h*anan bin-Dawidh

University of Texas at Arlington