b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] repost of full question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dirk Frulla <fiveacorns AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>, "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] repost of full question
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:26:15 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for responding again!

Sorry, I'm not good at going through the emails and quoting, so I'll just
quote up here.

You said: "HH: Isn't that what NIV is saying: the end of the desolations
correspond to the end of the 70 years?"

If it were saying that, then I wouldn't have an issue. I am saying it looks
like Daniel 9:2 is saying, when "fulfill" is left in the scripture, that the
end of the 70 years would bring an end of the desolations, BUT that's it. Not
an equating of the two time periods. Not saying that Jerusalem would lie in
ruins for 70 years, just that the end of one period would, by consequense,
bring the end of the other period. Let's just say (for the sake of
argument/illustration) that Babylon destroyed Jerusalem in, say, 549 - 10
years before Babylon itself fell to the Persians. So Jerusalem would be
desolate only 10 years (maybe a little longer if you factor in the trip from
Babylon back to Jerusalem). In this case, I would still say that Jeremiah was
right. Even though Jerusalem was lying desolate - paying off its sabbaths as
2 Chronicles 36:21 says, for only 10 years, the **servitude** of the **many
nations** to Babylon would have started long ago - when it
started conquering to make vassal states out of the nations. I would even
argue that the servitude of the many nations started before Jerusalem was
made a vassal, since Assyria was take in 609. The focus in Jeremiah seems
pointed toward Babylon and its reign over the nations.

Yes, I agree, Judah was one of those nations. And it did become desolated, as
Jeremiah states. But I don't see where the seventy years is equated with the
desolations of Jerusalem - it seems to only be equated to the "servitude" of
all the "nations round about" (Jer 25:9).

Here is Jeremiah 25:11 from the KJV:

"And this whole land shall be a desolation, and an astonishment; and these
nations shall serve the king of Babylon seventy years."
Because it is essentially two sentences here, I see:
1) "this whole land" will become a desolation - happened in 587
2) "these nations" will "serve" the king of Babylon 70 years.

The two halves of the sentence - at least in every English Bible that I've
seen - renders them as two separate thoughts, with the 70 years only
attaching to the servitude.

UNLESS there is some different way to read it in HEBREW - which is why I am
posting to this mailing list.

Here is the NIV of Daniel 9:2-
in the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, understood from the Scriptures,
according to the word of the LORD given to Jeremiah the prophet, that the
****desolation of Jerusalem would last seventy years****.

It looks like it is saying "desolations = 70 years". I am saying "desolations
= 50 years" (587/exile - 537/retrurn), but the SERVITUDE of "these nations" =
70 years, as Jeremiah states.

They were not all subjucated at once, for sure, but from the start of the
Babylon's reign up until its reign ended would be 70 years. You could round
it if you like. If it makes you uncomfortable to say its an exact 70 years.
It doesn't matter to me, I am just arguing from the grammar I see in BOTH
places in Jeremiah, that the 70 years applies to Babylon's reign.

I guess another way to put it is, the 70 years applies to the years of
Babylon's reign, but the desolations of Jerusalem is a sub-set of that.

Here is Daniel 9:2 from the Engish Standard Version:

in the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, perceived in the books the number
of years that, according to the word of the LORD to Jeremiah the prophet,
**must pass before the end of the desolations of Jerusalem**, namely, seventy
years.

Notice that in this version it is not equating the two, only that when the 70
years end, then it would free the way for the desolations to end, regardless
of how long Jerusalem was lying desolate.

Here is Daniel 9:2 from the American Standard Version:

in the first year of his reign I, Daniel, understood by the books the number
of the years whereof the word of Jehovah came to Jeremiah the prophet, **for
the accomplishing of the desolations of Jerusalem**, even seventy years.

Same thought. And yet you find other versions that do this (Contemporary
English Version):

Some years later, Darius the Mede, who was the son of Xerxes, had become king
of Babylonia. And during his first year as king, I found out from studying
the writings of the prophets that the LORD had said to Jeremiah, " Jerusalem
will lie in ruins for seventy years."

Now, there is nothing in Daniel 9:2 about Xerxes when checking the
interlinear. So this is definitely adding a bit of info and paraphrasing a
bit. But it agrees with the NIV to equate Jerusalem's "ruins" with the 70
years.

Thanks!