b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NXM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NXM
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:42:57 -0400

B-Haveray,

The key part of both Job 42:7 and 8 reads _l'o dibbartem 'elay nekonah ke`abdi 'iyyob_.
I suggest this harmonizes fine with 38:2 (YHWH said) "Who is this that darkens counsel with ignorant words?" and 40:2. The idea in 42:7, 8 is not that Job spoke right words, because he did not (see below); he did, however, speak sincerely.
Notice in 42:7 and 8 _'elay_, "TO ME." Perhaps _nakonah_ is best understood as an adverbial meaning "sincerely" as _ke`abdi 'iyyob_ is adverbial to _dibbartem_. See Ps 5:10 where _nekonah_ is best understood as sincerity. Translation of Job 42:7, 8: "You have not spoken to me sincerely like my servant Job."

It is inconceivable to me to think that Job, when confronted by YHWH, would not feel very sorry for many of the things he has said. For instance, he has said that God has wronged him:

Job 19:6-12 then know that God has wronged me and drawn his net around me. 7 "Though I cry, 'I've been wronged!' I get no response; though I call for help, there is no justice. 8 He has blocked my way so I cannot pass; he has shrouded my paths in darkness. 9 He has stripped me of my honor and removed the crown from my head. 10 He tears me down on every side till I am gone; he uproots my hope like a tree. 11 His anger burns against me; he counts me among his enemies. 12 His troops advance in force; they build a siege ramp against me and encamp around my tent.

He has also accused God of hiding from him unfairly.

Job 23:3-9 If only I knew where to find him; if only I could go to his dwelling! 4 I would state my case before him and fill my mouth with arguments. 5 I would find out what he would answer me, and consider what he would say. 6 Would he oppose me with great power? No, he would not press charges against me. 7 There an upright man could present his case before him, and I would be delivered forever from my judge. 8 "But if I go to the east, he is not there; if I go to the west, I do not find him. 9 When he is at work in the north, I do not see him; when he turns to the south, I catch no glimpse of him.

We may cite many other impudent challenges to God as Job tries to bring God out from hiding.

Job 6:4

Job 7:15-21

Job 9:16-19
Job 9:23-24
Job 9:30-35
Job 10:3-9
Job 13:18-25
Job 16:7-14
Job 17:6-8
Job 19:22
Job 24:22 - 25:1
Job 31:35-40
Given these accusations of malpractice, I have a problem thinking that Job did not find himself in need of regret/repentance.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church