b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NXM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Stephen Shead" <srshead+bh AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NXM
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:31:21 -0700

Dear Stephen,

I take it, then, from your response that "repent" would be the correct
rendering
of NXM in Job 42:6? The reason I ask this is that Job's thinking "has
changed!"
He thought one way about God's justice, but, because of God's appearance and
questioning of him (Job), his mind had new information about God, and, thus,
his
way of thinking had to change also. This would conform with the confession of
Job's own lips. He is admitting that what he spoke of is beyond what he
thought
as seen in 42:1-5. Furthermore, this confirmed by the LXX's use of hHGHMAI
(Perfect, Passive, Indicative, 1st person singular of hHGEOMAI, "To think,
consider, count, esteem, regard"), NOT by METANOEW nor METAMELOMAI.

It seems clear from the context that Job is confessing NOT of sin, but a lack
of
knowledge about the justice of God. God clearly condemns Job's friends,
so-called, in 42:7-8, "...because you have not spoken of me what is right, AS
MY
SERVANT JOB HAS....You have not spoken what is right, AS MY SERVANT JOB HAS."
(emphasis mine) Two times has God said that what Job spoke about Him was
correct. Thus, "repent" in the sense of "change of mind" as found in METANOEW
or
METAMELOMAI would be incorrect, but a "change of mind" in the sense of
confessing a lack of knowledge (hHGHMAI) would fit perfectly (PUN intended).

My article on "Repentance" deals with Nacham and Shub(v) along with METANOEW,
METAMELOMAI and EPISTREFW. I can send it to you off-list. It is basically in
legal outline form.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III