b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NXM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Stephen Shead" <srshead+bh AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NXM
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:11:55 -0400

Dear Bryant,

First, I'm far from certain that David Kummerow isn't correct, though I lean
towards the traditional "repent"-type meaning.

But when I am feeling more confident about "repent", I think Job is saying
something slightly more than what you've described. It's not simply that he
has changed his mind (though this is true); I take it that he regrets and
feels remorseful about his former words.

Is this a "confessing of sin"? I find this very hard to know how to answer.
Maybe it depends what one thinks of as sin!? I think it involves
overstepping the appropriate limits of human wisdom. How would you
categorise that?

I find 42:7-8 intriguing. It seems clear to me that, at least in some
places, Job HAS spoken of God things that are wrong. I take this to be
implicit in 40:8 / 42:3. But even apart from this, Job has asserted that God
must be his enemy, based on the wrong belief, shared with his friends, that
anger, punishment, or perhaps discipline for a particular sin, are the only
possible reasons for God to afflict a person in such a way. Nevertheless,
unlike the friends, his "overstepping" doesn't appear to be something for
which he is condemned and has to seek God's forgiveness (maybe that answers
the earlier question for me!). There is, therefore, an enormous difference
in the character of their "words without knowledge" about God and his ways.

Regards,
Stephen Shead.

P.S. Yes, please, I would be interested in your "Repentance" article!