b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NXM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Stephen and Rebecca Shead" <srshead AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NXM
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 16:42:26 -0400

Hi David,

I agree with you that all these questions continue through the book. I'm
just not sure that it's due to the Satan's ongoing rebuttals. The sense of
closure at 2:10, and the failure of the Satan to reappear, along with the
nature of God's eventual response, lead me to think that God chooses to keep
the sterner test going, for his own reasons. (Then again, if Fyall is right
in his argument that the Leviathan is a image of the Satan, maybe I'm
wrong.)

You're right on 27:5 - I was lazy there. Nevertheless, I do think that Job,
in maintaining his own integrity, at least comes very close to "condemning
God" (e.g. 9:21-24; 10:2-7). How else do we understand 40:8? In the light of
that, and of the entirety of the divine speeches, not to mention 42:1-5,
isn't it true that Job DOES have something to "regret" in what he had said,
and/or how he had said it?

Of course, that doesn't prove that NXM is "regret" as opposed to "be
consoled" in 42:6. But I am trying to show that, given the context, it can't
be dismissed too easily; I can see strong arguments for both. And for me,
the translation "regret/repent" sharpens the very interesting issue which
would remain in any case: How is it that Job "spoke what is right" of God,
in contrast with the friends (42:7), given that he has just been shown to
have "darkened counsel without knowledge" (42:3)?

Regards,
Stephen Shead.