b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NXM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NXM
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:31:41 -0700

Bryan:
Which translation did you use?

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 5:16 AM, B. M. Rocine <brocine AT twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> By the way Karl, I Think you are misreading 'epho as "his anger."
> See Job 9:24, 19:23, 24:25. It means "then."
>
> Right.

> I don't know why you are so generous with Job. Perhaps because
he suffered so. A human judge would fear for his safety upon hearing
Job's words. I do not say this to say that YHWH's life was in danger. I
say this to point out that many of Job's tirades were clearly in
sizzling hot anger and accusation against YHWH. You wouldn't want to be
talked to or about like Job talked about YHWH.

This is the reason for my question at the top, when I read the text in
Hebrew, I don't see the sizzling anger you mention. I see more the puzzled
"Why, God?" than an accusation that God was wrong. I think this
interpretation is backed up by YHWH's statement in 42:7–8 where he did not
condemn Job of wrongdoing whereas the three friends were so accused. I think
your translation is wrong.

Shalom,