b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dan (was: Where Was Jacob's Ladder)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tory Thorpe <torythrp AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dan (was: Where Was Jacob's Ladder)
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 20:13:02 -0500

On Nov 11, 2007, at 6:34 PM, K Randolph wrote:

Just out of curiosity:

On 11/11/07, Tory Thorpe <torythrp AT yahoo.com> wrote:

I think we can safely rule out Danuna, a kingdom thought to have been
situated in eastern Cilicia. It is mentioned, for example, in the
Amarna letter EA 151. Then again, the location of Danuna, and at
least the origin of the people Danuna, is a subject of debate. I
suppose it is not impossible for there to have been a well-known
settlement of Danunites in northern Canaan during the time of the
Patriarchs.

Tory Thorpe

Why do you assume that just because there is a name to a geographical
location, that there was a settlement there?

It's an assumption, I admit. Evidence of a people called Dan, unrelated to the biblical tribe, in northern Canaan suggests it. It was my way of saying you may have a point, without saying you may have a point :)

Tory Thorpe