b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dan (was: Where Was Jacob's Ladder)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tory Thorpe <torythrp AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dan (was: Where Was Jacob's Ladder)
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 09:18:12 -0500

On Nov 11, 2007, at 9:01 AM, K Randolph wrote:

Dear Yigal:

On 11/11/07, Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il> wrote:
Dear Karl,

You wrote:

The first reference I heard of a "Dan" outside of the Bible referred
to a kingdom in what is now southern Turkey, along the coast, that was
named Dan. That kingdom was overthrown between 1300–1100 BC. I came
across a couple of other mentioned places, but did not follow up on
them.

I've been studying the history of the ANE for 20 years and have never heard
of such a place.

I heard about it over 30 years ago, and as I could not afford the
books, I left them in the library.

I think we can safely rule out Danuna, a kingdom thought to have been situated in eastern Cilicia. It is mentioned, for example, in the Amarna letter EA 151. Then again, the location of Danuna, and at least the origin of the people Danuna, is a subject of debate. I suppose it is not impossible for there to have been a well-known settlement of Danunites in northern Canaan during the time of the Patriarchs.

Tory Thorpe