b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dan (was: Where Was Jacob's Ladder)& Scientific Methodology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: belaga AT math.u-strasbg.fr
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dan (was: Where Was Jacob's Ladder)& Scientific Methodology
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:25:00 +0100

Dear Karl and Yitzhak,

without entering in the Biblic particularities of your dialogue, I would suggest a more careful use of the autority of "modern science".

It happens rather systematically in the history of science, since at least the last two centuries, that a particular scientific approach or metaphysical vision underlying and dominating "modern" science could be dramatically abandoned for a much more complex vision. Here is, for exemple, how Einstein characterized the revolutionary advent of new physics (new in HIS times, but now either already revolutionarized anew or going just at this moment through a painful and fruitful revolution, without knowning in advance where it will bring us):

«We must not be surprised, therefore, that, so to speak, all physicists of the last [19-th] century saw in classical mechanics a firm and final foundation for all physics, yes, indeed, for all natural science, and that they never grew tired in their attempts to base Maxwell?s theory of electromagnetism, which, in the meantime, was slowly beginning to win out, upon mechanics as well.»

(Albert Einstein, Autobiographical Notes, pp. 20-21, in : Paul Arthur Schilpp, editor, Albert Einstein : Philosopher-Scientist, Cambridge University Press, London, 1970.)

Einstein was too modest to tell that it was his relativity theory and the new quantum mechanics (to which he objected, for good and for bad) that have spelled the end of the mechanical universe.

It is also true that the evolution theory mentioned by Yitzhak as a paragon of modernity is hastily adapting herself to new data (Stephen Jay Gould, 2002. The Structure of Evolutionary Theory, Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press) or even questioned by many professionals, -- and I do not mean Creationists and Interlligent Designists.

!!! Moderators: forgive me, please, this parenthesis on the methodology of science: it turns out too often that it is me who is rebuked after a modest and isolated intervention in a long discussion "not related directly" to b-hebrew.

On Nov 11, 2007 4:02 AM, K Randolph wrote:

> .... If one's approach is that of modern science, ....

Which definition of "modern science"? The unanimous definition given
by physicists, biologists, chemists and other scientists from when I
was in college? Or the post-modern one?

Dear Karl,

"How often do I have to repeat..." that your definition as you provide it for
various natural sciences above from when you were in college appears to
depend on a misunderstanding of the biology, physics, etc. textbooks that
you read. We can debate how appropriate it is to use a definition from a
book about a natural science for other sciences such as linguistics or
biblical research. But you yourself admit that in that biology textbook the
definition given for science -- as you understand it, of course -- and the way
evolution is described in that same textbook conflict and are inconsistent.
Yet we know one of the books' authors viewed evolution as completely
consistent with the definition of science. You would rather assume that
the author is inconsistent. I think you just misunderstand the definition
and are explicitly reading into the provided definition things that are not
there. Thus there is no unanimous definition vs. post-modern definition,
there is only a definition you misunderstood vs. a definition you now
understand. It seems you adopt the definition of science in the natural
sciences textbook only because you misunderstood it.

Yitzhak Sapir