b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dan (was: Where Was Jacob's Ladder)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dan (was: Where Was Jacob's Ladder)
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 04:38:33 +0200

Dear Karl,
You wrote:
Thanks to George Athas, he has more information than I presently do here.

The "sea peoples" group called the Danannoi, probably of Aegean origin, are hardly proof that there were other places called "Dan" in the Semitic-speaking world, which is what you claimed. As I wrote before, I know of none, and you still have not produced any.

Unless the kings did not travel the main route to Damascus, they would
have travelled to the east of the Sea of Galilee to avoid the
mountainous areas. The later tribal area was in the mountainous area.

I assume that you've looked at a map. East of the sea of Galille is what we now call the Golan Hights and Mount Hermon, much more mountainous than the Galillee to the west. The Jordan Valley, right past Dan, is the only logical route.

The rest of your claim rests upon the assumption that Genesis was written by
"one of Abraham's sons, and the audience Jacob and his sons".

Please be more careful, that is not what I wrote.

Yes it is. That's why it's in quote marks. I copied it right from your previous post. If it's not what you intended, then please clarify.

Did you read what I wrote, not only in the last message, but in
earlier ones as well?

Yes I did, but again, please clarify.

Yigal Levin