b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Assumptions about ANE ages that just don't work.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "biblical hebrew" <jcr.bhebrew AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Assumptions about ANE ages that just don't work.
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:42:17 +0100

But Yigal, let us set aside the matter of whether we believe the ages to be
true or not. As you have said, choosing to believe any historical source is
a matter of faith. But what we are discussing here is not whether you
believe the account to be true or not but what the linguistic evidence shows
the author's intentions to be.

And as Shoshanna has quite clearly shown, the author of bereshith held a
month to be 30 days, held a year to be in the region of twelve months and
held Noah to be over 600 * 12 * 30 days old in the account of the flood. So,
unless we are going to start arguing that the author's idea of a day was
different it would seem clear that the linguistic intention of the author
was for us to understand that men had longer lifespans which gradually
declined from the days of Adam until they had reached stability in the days
of Moses.

Any observations you notice about increased lifespans in modern times are as
a result of medical intervention and feeding the advanced in age with
numerous varieties of death postponing pills and have absolutely nothing to
do with the natural evolution of mankind.

In any case, the general point, that modern assumptions about Sarah's age
and her expected beauty, undeniably just don't work in the greater context
of the patriarchal narratives. Whether you choose to believe she really was
still beautiful at this age is a matter of faith (guided by knowledge).
Whether you choose to accept that the text reveals Sarah as past the
expected age of child-bearing but not as aged as a modern day 90 year old is
a matter of being able to read Hebrew in a larger context and therefore very
much linguistic.

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew Thesis 1 - Aleppo codex machine
translation
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc Thesis 2 - language acquisition simulation