b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "biblical hebrew" <jcr.bhebrew AT gmail.com>
  • To: "JimStinehart AT aol.com" <JimStinehart AT aol.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:02:02 +0100

Hi Jim,

OK! I get what you are saying. You are attempting to align biblical history
with the Amarna letters in an attempt to prove the historicity of the
patriarchal narratives. In order to achieve this you want to find the
translation of Genesis 20:1 which permits such a harmony.

I laud your attempts but, to be brutally honest, your games with punctuation
do nothing to derive such a meaning. Your whole interpretation hinges on how
best to translate NGB in this particular instance and NOT on funky
punctuation schemes. As noted meanings such as 'southern' and 'Negeb desert'
are more likely later meanings derived as a result of an established
Isrealite society with the Negeb desert lying to the South. The evolution of
meaning was therefore:

1: Desert/wilderness/arid land
2: Negeb desert (in the sense of a proper noun)
3: South (by extension of the fact that the Negeb desert lies South of
Isreal)

If you are to argue a pre-Isrealite authorship of Genesis 20:1 then the
first sense is the most likely and thus no specific direction is stated and
no specific desert is referred to. The translation would therefore be:

And Abraham went out into the desert.
And he set up camp between Qadesh and Sur.
And he stayed in Gerar.

With such a translation no recourse to funky punctuation schemes is needed
and you can arrive at the sense you are desperately trying to arrive at. I
know what you may be thinking and just because Abraham left and went out
into the desert does not mean that his final destination also had to be in
the desert. It may be merely just a reference to the route he took. The
significance of such a statement is that for the most part of Abraham's
journey it is understood that he stuck to the fertile crescent in his
movements and so any deviation from the fertile crescent is worthy of note.

I think this is the only way we can make your translation work. Arguing that
the generic construct that you are trying to translate was a frequently used
collocate compound phrase for Southern Lebanon is unsubstatiated and
unattested elsewhere and has no grounds other than your theory about where
they stopped off.

In short, I think your argument would be much stronger if you abandoned your
punctuation schemes and worked on using the ancient and literal meaning of
the construct in question rather than attempting to add an unprovable and
unattested connotation to it.

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew Thesis 1 - Aleppo codex machine translation
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc Thesis 2 - language acquisition simulation