b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Historic reasons?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: <george.athas AT moore.edu.au>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Historic reasons?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 07:29:17 +0200

In my study on Hebrew patterns I have remarked that as regards the Qal imperfect 3rd person singular masculine or most transitive regular verbs the Bible uses, in a general way, the short form (look at www.oham.net/out/P-t/P-t189.html) more often, by far, than the long one (look at www.oham.net/out/PI-t2/PI-t2-034.html).

But this seems not to apply to the book of Job, where the long form seems to be much more usual than the short one.

I'm wondering whether there are any reasons (perhaps historic? others?) for this.

I would appreciate your thoughts and/or comments.

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Spain)