b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tory Thorpe <torythrp AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 18:54:47 -0400

Assuming the the Book of Genesis we have, and the shape we have it in, was available in pre-monarchical times, a reader would naturally associate the Qadesh of Gen. 20:1 with the place he or she read about earlier in Gen. 14:7. He or she also learned of a Shur (toward Egypt) from Gen. 16:7. So by the time Gen. 20:1 was reached, the two place- names you wish to associate with Lebanon have already been mentioned and they have no connection whatsoever with Lebanon in those passages that mention them. Thus to argue that Lebanon would jump into the mind at Gen. 20:1 begs belief. It does not matter that Moses' Qadesh and Shur have not been positively identified. I'm not sure why feel you should keep reminding us. The biblical data still requires that we look for a Qadesh in south Israel near Edom's border and a Shur near Egypt's border, even if we never locate them. This is why your theory, in my opinion, absolutely unbelievable. I also see no reason to agree with the strawman you've set up: Gerar is not stated as being situated in the desert, it is simply the next place the biblical author wants us to know Abraham sojourned after his stay in the south country.

"And Abraham journeyed from there toward the land of the south, and he dwelt between Qadesh and Shur; and he sojourned in Gerar" (Gen. 20:1, translation mine).

Tory Thorpe