b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 01:29:07 -0400

Shoshana,

It is not only what the Torah says but more so what we understand her saying as she winks at us. The bible very rarely refers to the human physiognomy [one exception is 1 Samuel 16:12, where ADMONI may allude to hair color]. The fact of the matter is that SARAYI was exceptionally beautiful to the point of causing, upon her arrival there, a national stir in Egypt [see Genesis 12:14] and her being eventually taken to the king's house. There must have been something very very unusual about her person to warrant such interest in her by a satiated king who had a well stocked harem of beautiful girls of all ages and shapes [methinks].
Picture the hormonal upheaval that a tall, fair skinned, blond haired, blue eyed [Nordic?] woman would have caused in the land of the tawny [the reverse is, of course, true too].
This was possibly also what drove the Egyptian mistress of Joseph the righteous crazy with lust [see Genesis 39:6-7].
I suspect that the three sons of NOAX, $EM, XAM, and YEPET are the olive skinned, the dark skinned, and the fair skinned.

Isaac Fried, Boston University