b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "biblical hebrew" <jcr.bhebrew AT gmail.com>
  • To: "JimStinehart AT aol.com" <JimStinehart AT aol.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:12:51 +0100

Also another point you seem to have missed is Genesis 19:37,38 which gives
serious clues to the date of authorship of the narrative.

" 37 In time the firstborn became mother to a son and called his name Mo´ab.
He is the father of Mo´ab, to this day. 38 As for the younger, she too gave
birth to a son and then called his name Ben-am´mi. He is the father of the
sons of Am´mon, to this day."

These verses seem to indicate to me that the author was writing at a time
and to an audience of people who knew the Moabites and Ammonites to be
neighbouring nations. If we are to accept the traditional view that Moses
authored the Torah then this comment would make sense and we therefore need
to abandon any theory of a more ancient authorship.

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew Thesis 1 - Aleppo codex machine translation
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc Thesis 2 - language acquisition simulation