b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Stress

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "<pporta AT oham.net>" <pporta AT oham.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Stress
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 06:20:04 -0400

Pere,

OK I will state my case again. There are no "paragogic" letters in Hebrew, and there can not be "paragogic" letters in Hebrew. The ancient Hebrews did not construct their language out of "paragogic" letters and "thematic" vowels. The Hebrews did not slap a extra H [and why H?] at the end of RIB just [or "simply" as Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann puts it] to extend it [the longer the better?] by 33 and a 1/3 percent.
You are saying: "Then you do not accept that a form like "RYB" (Mic 6:1) and a form like "RYBH" (Psa 35:1) are the same thing". The question is what is the "same thing".
The word RYB is from the root RB. As the noun 'dispute, quarrel', the internal personal pronoun stands for the thing itself, while as the act 'fight!', the internal personal pronoun stands for the person incited to fight.
Hebrew is in the habit of forgoing the addition of an extra personal pronoun for the person confronted, but there are instances where it does. Then it is RIBAH = RIH-HI) in line with RIBI = RIB-HI) said to a woman and RIBU = RIB-HU) said to a group. If this grammatical form is just a relic of a distant past used to add a flavor of quaintness to the poetry, or if it is a special form reserved for a tactful address I don't know. I think that the additional HI) is akin to a following NA), or a preceding ANA), which I also suspect of being personal pronouns, ANA) = )ATAH.
The KUM and RIB of Micah 6:1 are God's authoritative commands, while the RIBAH of Psalms 35:1 is David's submissive and obsequious pleadings to his God. The first is 'stand up and confront', while the second is 'please fight'.
From the noun RIB we have also RIBAH = RIB-HI) in the sense of 'her RIB, her dispute', with a mapik in the closing H and a stressed BAH; and also *RIBAH, 'a young woman'.
The extra personal pronoun may be stationed as a token of respect and to function as an imperative mollifier before the root, as in the YAQUM = HI)-QUM of Genesis 27:31.

Isaac Fried, Boston University